resurrection...
I have appreciated the reflections by many of my fellow bloggers regarding the Lenten and Easter seasons. There is a lot to think about and definitely several ways to think about things. My cynical thought about Easter (and please know that it makes me giggle, not be pissed off) is that I wonder what it is about Easter that resurrects so many people quickly in one week and then kills them off so quickly the following Sunday! :) Even the baseball season has slumps...
We did have excellent worship experiences in our congregations. It was wonderful to meet some folks who I haven't had the chance to meet yet. It is just plain fun to have a packed church singing Jesus Christ is Risen Today!
This past weekend we had a neighborhood Chili Feed. We got to try 15 different crock pots of Chili and meet the rest of our neighbors. This really helped us feel more at home. The host/hostess invited many of their friends as well and there were about 150 at this event. Huge--for Esdaile in all of our size 40 population!
This week ended up being the busiest weeks I have had in 9 months. I received a call on Tuesday and a call Wednesday for two funerals. So I had a funeral on Thursday and I have one tomorrow. It was good they were spread out. The interesting part is that I have been covering for a neighbor pastor and both of them are from one of her congregations! The one on Thursday the family was not able to meet with me at all so we had to go with that one cold turkey. Pretty interesting for my first funeral (I know, my first!). No one has died yet in a congregation I have served, even on internship! If I keep that streak up I may be able to get the big bucks!!
Sunday I introduced Now The Feast and Celebration liturgy, and created a bulletin for the entire Easter Season. A lot of work, but for 7 weeks all we have to do is an announcement insert. It was a lot of fun to put together and I included columns with the 'shape of the rite' explanations to teach about each part of the liturgy.
So, resurrection...I have been talking about it a lot lately. It is a gift to be able to talk about it with others, and it is quite interesting to hear people reflect on what they think about the resurrection as well. Paz

4 Comments:
wow, that is a lot of work to put together a bulletin for the whole season. but what a wonderful way to tie the whole thing together, that it isn't just a one week thing.
do you have it in a word file? i would love to see how you did it.
as i blogged about, the rollercoaster of easter sunday to the 2nd sunday is really an interesting thing. it isn't so much that i think we should or can take attendance personally, but we certainly prepare for the party (40 days of lent) better than we celebrate the party(50 days of easter).
maybe next year i am going to introduce some easter disciplines (on the idea of lenten disciplines) to push us a bit towards celebrating the full 50 days. who knows. but it is interesting to think about.
peace
i agree with e - if you've got a file with the bulletin that you're willing to share, feel free to email it my way.
i was writing in my may newsletter article about the resurrection and how it is fundamental to our faith, yet we struggle with what it means and how it impacts our daily lives partially because we have no words that adequately describe and define the resurrection. being humans words are all we have to tell the story - and that is why i am ever-increasingly glad that god is god.
how did 'now the feast' introduction go? i introduced 'holden evening prayer' for lent and it went well, and i have thought of introducing 'now the feast' for easter next year. i think i will start with introducing 'setting 2' this fall and see what happens. i had a discussion tonight about the way we hear the scripture and the liturgy when we have 'heard it all before' and how it is often helpful to mix things up a bit - even a teeny bit - so that people are a bit out of step so that we can take better notice of the scripture and the words of the liturgy.
L & E, I have shot a few things your way. Let me know what you think. I think that some changes in worship is worth the risk~the congregation I am in are now used to anything I throw at them after 9 months because no two weeks have been the same. It's not that it is totally different, but they can always expect one surprise.
What I would like to do is introduce different (but faithful) creeds or confessions in the 'creed' slot and see what people think. There are some great creeds (Maasai, contemporary, creative language) to use to help us think, instead of say from rote.
And E, when you figure out what to do for the Easter season next year, please let me know~~I would suggest having the Sunday School kids sing every sunday in church :)
i'm so excited about all the stuff you've been doing with bulletins and worship and pastoral care and chili and...
the spirit is definitely moving there and you are leading this congregation through some great growth experiences.
i'm sure those families were blessed to have you preside at the funerals of their loved ones. and maybe they'll transfer to your congregation(s) once they realize that you carry the secret to eternal life!
Post a Comment
<< Home