Friday, November 04, 2005

Inspiration and Imagination

I have been thinking a lot lately again about preaching in the parish. I have also been doing a lot of reading on the subject. I have come to discern that there are two general steps to the process (with the help of Linda Clader from Church Divinity School in Berkely). It actually has been very encouraging for me to come to various realizations.

The first step (rather a crude way of putting it) is the Spirit’s gift to us, or ‘inspiration’. I would define this as the stirring, the still small voice or the nudge. I would explain this as what happens to me when I dream about a text, or read an incredible book, or come upon an idea that piques my attentiveness to my surroundings. I often create this dream in my head that is awe inspiring and I imagine myself sharing this with a congregation and it gets me so excited. I feel this all the time throughout my days. Often as I am doing my work I feel the inspiration I am referring to. Often though when I write down what I feel I am inspired to and come back to it at a later time it doesn’t seem that inspiring. But still I enjoy my own little world throughout the week.

The second step is offering this gift to my congregations. This is the ‘imagination’ step that translates the Spirit’s gift to me into words that will invoke wonder and imagination in the hearers of my sermon. This I am less skillful at. I struggle to pique interest with words that open up the imagination.

But I guess for now that is ok. The inspiration part of this equation has been with me a long time. I know it is a gift to me from God. It is what finally assured me that I could enter seminary. I knew this inspiration, even though what would come out of my mouth to others was not as exciting as what was concocted in my own head.

Thankfully I am pretty sure that it cannot contain itself in my bones alone forever. It is bound to pour over. I guess that is why I keep trying and keep reading and keep praying. This is hopelessly eschatological, and with so many daily pressing issues, at least on this day, it seems sort of playful.

Come Holy Spirit and work imagination that translates and calls. Paz

3 Comments:

At Thursday, November 10, 2005 7:53:00 AM, Blogger Leland said...

i agree with the two-step process. one note concerning the words that actually come out of your mouth...

one sunday after preaching i had a man come up to me and thank me for my sermon because it really got him. i asked him what was the part that got him. he quoted part of my sermon. i didn't remember saying what he quoted but let it ride. i later had opportunity to listen to my sermon and i never said what he quoted.

i am convinced that the holy spirit is the active agent in preaching. i merely provide the voice to transmit god's message - the spirit moves people.

 
At Thursday, November 10, 2005 12:19:00 PM, Blogger kendi said...

i have always found you both inspiring and imaginative. but i understand the challenge of communicating a vision to others, particularly if they are on a different "wavelength." i found that the longer i was at my internship site the better i was at understanding the wavelengths the people were on and finding ways to translate to them. then the problem became wanting to address so many different wavelengths simultaneously. you've helped me to think this week about my own preaching, though, and to break the event down into some kind of process in my mind. thank you for that.

 
At Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

communication is a great challenge for us in the parish. one thing i have been reminded about a lot recently is that while i think about church 24/7, my parishioners tend to think about it an hour a week or so.

how do we "wake up" our parish on sunday morning with an imaginative idea that both holds their interest and gives them something to chew on throughout the week?

that is a high task, we certainly have a unique call. i have no doubt you are imaginative and creative(like kendi that is something i have certainly seen in you), keep working on that second step as i have no doubt the spirit will flow over. for the benefit and edification of all the people there in western wisconsin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home