Tuesday, June 13, 2006

the Spirit speaks...

in various ways.

Let's see if I can interpret the Spirit's actions in the kindest way...:)

I had a very interesting experience in church on Sunday. I decided to use the Nicodemus story as a launching pad to talk about what it means to be 'born-again', or born from above (NIV and NRSV theological slants). I share some conversations I had with fellow students in college over whether or not I was 'saved', a parallel to born-again depending on the theological slant. I explained as best I could a fundagelical (kata Bishop Hanson) take on the idea of being born again and shared with the congregation that I thought their interpretation was too small and incomplete.

I then talked about what it means to be born (i.e. we didn't choose to have our infant birth, and we don't choose to be born-again), what it means to be born of water (baptism conversation and daily dying/rising) and what it means to be born of spirit (fruits of the spirit, having christ take up residence inside of us via the Holy Spirit).

I wanted to offer some teaching and I hope preaching around what it is that we actually believe as Christians who happen to be Lutheran, about being born-again, and what we might say in response. I thought this may work--"In virtue of my baptism, yes I am born again, not merely by my work but more importantly by God's good work and grace..." well you can finish it.

So here is my point...

After the service a woman came up to me and said this (I responded with silence)..."Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for talking about what you did in the sermon (good up to this point), when I was 12 I accepted the Lord as my savior and he has been with me since. I grew up in a great Christian family who supported me and I am so thankful for that. I thought there was going to be an altar call. That would have been great."

Seriously. AND I communicated very well that I was offering an opposing understanding not to be antagonistic but to help us have a response to say to someone when we are asked if we are saved.

So, you are the jury...I don't know how she heard this, but it is insight for me on the varied ways we allow religion and theology to work in our lives. And the Spirit may speak to people what they need to hear! :) There is a challenge for you.

I do think sometime soon we may have to have another conversation...

Paz

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 3:20:00 PM, Blogger Ross said...

I think that it's amazing that, no matter what you say, people still hear what they want to hear.

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen to ross.

some people hear what they want because they have already figured it all out. you are simply there to confirm what they think.

next week...maybe it is time for the altar call!!!

 
At Friday, June 16, 2006 8:15:00 AM, Blogger Chad K said...

E, some call it Holy Communion, but you can call it what you want...:)

Paz

 
At Tuesday, June 27, 2006 11:40:00 AM, Blogger kendi said...

wow, i'm kind of speechless, as i'm sure you must have been in the actual moment. sometimes i wonder if people have a "catchphrase filter" on when they're at church. no matter what else is said, they are listening for certain words, and hwne they hear them, that's what they focus on. if that's the case for her, then when you said the words "born again," and "saved," her connotative definitions of those terms took over. ironic considering you were trying to redefine those terms!

this reminds me of that sermon rogness gave while we were at seminary about talking to his council president and realizing that he had a completely "works-righteousness" mentality, despite being steeped in lutheranism from day 1.

the good news is that it's part of a much larger conversation you can continue to have with her, both in preaching and casually. thanks for sharing; i love to hear these stories because it reminds me that i'm not the only one left shaking my head often after worship!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home